Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What's in a name...Part Deux

Little Girl Groen has a name! It's been over a week and Eric and I still like it, so we think it's going to stick. For a long time, we were going to go with Amelie. We heard of that name from the movie and have liked it, but nevertheless, even though it DID start with an "A," it just wasn't the name we loved enough to name our daughter.

The name we have chosen is:

Elina Marie
We knew we loved it because we could start calling her by the name and it just felt right. Eric likes the name Elin. I've always liked the name Elena, so I guess it's sort of a compromise. Eric still says he may still call her Elin. I may call her Ellie, or Lina, or maybe even Leelee (Eric doesn't like that one one bit). Oh, and Marie is my middle name, so I think it's pretty special to have someone pass my name to. I've always loved my middle name.
Elina is a form of "Helen." I guess the name is Greek, but it's only used in Northern European countries. This makes Eric very glad that his daughter (sort of) has a Scandinavian name.
We can't wait for Elina to make her appearance. She's pretty feisty in the womb, or maybe that's just me comparing her to carrying twins. I guess she does have a lot more room to move around in than the boys did :)

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I LOVE her name! It is so beautiful! I was looking at your counter and you are almost due already! I can't believe it. Good luck in the next couple weeks!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful name!

luke and pamela said...

i forgot to say that i love the name you've chosen! i've always been into names that can work (nickname) into others, so you have options. maybe it's because i went by pammy for so many years before realizing i could be pam or pamela. :(