Saturday, September 5, 2009

Newborn Intensive Care Program

Because the boys were in the NICU more than than 72 hours, they were put in a state program called Newborn Intensive Care Program (NICP). Every few months, a development specialist comes to the house to see the boys and see how they are developing. On Aug. 24th, the nurse came for the first time. She weighed the boys and took all their measurements and then did excercises with them. She was just amazed at how well they are developing. Below are their stats.

Carter
Weight: 15.1 lb~above 99th percentile (he was off the charts) based on his adjusted age with due date of 7/1

Length: 24 inches~90th percentile based on adjusted age

Head circumference: 15 3/4 inches


Brandt

Weight: 12.14 lbs~ 90th percentile based on adjusted age

Length: 23 1/4 inches~ 80th percentile based on adjusted age

Head circumference: 15 1/4 inches

Because the boys were born premature, they are measured on the percentile charts based on their adjusted age. Their adjusted age is determined based on their 40 week due date of July 1. When the nurse was here, they were about 3 months old (real age), but their adjusted age was 7 weeks. They will be measured on the percentile charts based on their adjusted age until they are two.

Overall, I think this program is great! It was so reassuring to have a specialist tell me they are doing great. She seemed so impressed with their strength ability, size, and alertness and gave me some more excercise ideas to do with them.

My favorite part of the meeting was when she asked me how they are sleeping at night. I didn't really know what she meant by that. "Ummm...they are sleeping well I guess. They sleep from 8 pm-6/6:30 am." She was so surprised and asked if I was following BabyWise. I told her I was and she told me that she sees moms with multiples who don't follow a schedule and they are just a mess when she sees them because they never get any rest. Yaaay for BabyWise!

She also suggested I get on WIC (Women and Infant Care) since I'm no longer working and told me to tell them that I premie twins. I'd been planning to look into it, but I called them that afternoon. They said their next available appointment was in October. I told the lady on the phone I had premie twins. She put me on hold and came back and asked if I could come in the next day! I went to the appointment and now we get WIC checks. I can't believe I get 18 cans of formula for the boys each month! Wow! It is such a huge help. I also get checks for food. It's great!

1 comment:

Noelle said...

Wow...all great news! So glad the boys are growing so well and I loved seeing all the pics! I also completely agree...BabyWise is the best!!