Thursday, August 18, 2011

First Thoughts on Augusta

Likes
  • People here are friendly.  You always hear about how people in the South are friendly and it is SO true! I was trying to explain to my sister how people are different and friendly and I explained that people will just strike up a conversation with you when you are out.  She ask, "Isn't that weird that people you don't know act like they want to talk to you?" and at first it definitely was! Now, I've gotten used to it and you really notice when someone isn't friendly.
  • One of the biggest things we noticed since moving to Small Town, USA is that it is overwhelmingly Christian here.  What a big (and welcomed!) change from Phoenix and Chicago.  Places shut down on Sunday and you are expected to go to church! And yes, there is a Baptist church on nearly every corner!
  • This kind of goes along with the last point, but the Sunday services at a few of the local churches are broadcast on TV on Sunday morning.  How cool is that?!
  • The town is very family oriented and there are many different programs for children and moms.  We've already joined:
    • a Mother's Day Out program.  Whoever the woman was to think up this program is a God-send and a lifesaver! For a few hours each week, the boys are going to go to First Baptist Church of Augusta. I'm going to sign up Elina in a few months when she is no longer nursing.  Anyway, this will allow me to go to appointments, grocery shopping, clean the house, even take a nap!  Today was the first day the boys were supposed to go, but they caught a cold.  Can't wait for next week!
    • MOPS.  I joined a Moms of Preschoolers.  We've already met some of the other mom's at a playdate and just love them.
    • Side by Side.  This is a Bible study/support group for wives of those in the medical field.  I belonged to the chapter in Glendale, AZ and it was such a huge support for me when Eric was in medical school. I'm excited to meet the other medical wives in the area.
  • We've been thoroughly impressed with the food here in Augusta.  Although we don't eat out/order in food often, the places we have tried has been good!  There is any type of food, too!  We've got an Indian and Thai food place just down the street! Oh, and Eric and I had a hankering to make pho over the weekend and we were able to find ALL the ingredients to make it!
  • Everything is so close, I fill up my gas tank 1-2 times a month.
  • Our neighbors are awesome!  We've already commissioned their teenage son to cut our grass.  With Eric's work load, we figured it would be good if he didn't have to worry about the lawn.
  • The kids' pediatrician is so nice.  She's definitely a Suth'n lady and is dolled up with major amounts of jewelry the way the ladies wear it here.  All the kids loved her and she's in a brand new office that is no nice.
  • There are about 21,534 country music radio stations here and they are all good! Much better than KNIX or KMLE back in Phoenix that would only play the same 5 songs.
Dislikes
  • It is HOT!  Very hot!  It gives Phoenix a run for its money with the heat plus humidity.  It really will be so much nicer when it cools down.
  • Shopping here is limited.  We have everything we need, but it would be nice to have an Ikea, Nordstrom's and all the other big city stores here.  Oh well, with Eric's pint sized resident's salary, we really wouldn't be shopping there anyway.  They are building a Costco that should be completed in November.  We are VERY excited about that!
  • Because it is such a small town, it is rather difficult for our family to come visit.  That is probably the biggest bummer!
  • The roads here are ridiculous.  I guess I'm biased, though, because I'm used to the grid system back in Phoenix.  No roads here run North/South or East/West.  They all turn into a road called by a different name or change direction.  Very strange to get used to.
  • There are some major ghetto areas.  We don't live near them, but they are all around the hospital where Eric works. 
Overall, we really like Augusta so far and am really glad this is where Eric matched!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

so glad to hear you guys are adjusting!