Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Toddler Tantrums

Here is a GREAT article on dealing with toddler tantrums.  It's written by the author of a blog I follow religiously, Val Plowman.  About 99.99% of the things she writes about is right on.  I've asked her for help several times and she gives the greatest advice.  Anyway, the boys are completely into the terrible 2's now and throw trantrums and I've found this article to be so helpful.

http://www.babywisemom.com/2011/05/toddler-tantrums.html

1 comment:

Amanda E. said...

Ugh---I totally WISH I could actually count the tantrums each day, but alas there are too many to count. The behavior started right around 14 months. We turn around and continue whatever we are doing, not speaking to Cole AT ALL or giving him any eye contact. He has always been really into "hurting" himself and thus we don't even bat an eye when he smashes his head into the concrete over and over...sounds bad, but it is a daily occurrence and even if I wanted to, I don't have the energy to react to any of it anyway.

Sadly as most kids notice the lack of attention and thus stop the behavior, Cole refuses and the behavior does NOT become extinct. Unfortunately I think we may have to take him for professional help...of course then they'll probably report us to CPS for all of the self-inflicted bruises on his head. Nice! Cole will live a very sad existence in his room about 90% of the day if this continues through the summer...otherwise I'll have to hire a nanny.