Thursday, July 9, 2009

Home for the weekend

Goodness...I don't really know how or where to begin. I have a condition that no one can figure out. I've had several doctors say they are going to write an article on me because I just don't make sense:(
When I was hospitalized on Thursday, July 2, my wbc's were at 1.1. Dr. McKernan wouldn't do my hysteroscopy or laperoscopy not because my wbc's were so low, but because I had sores on my legs. He wanted to verify they weren't MRSA (they weren't). The point of doing the procedures were because I'd had a low grade fever and he wanted to make sure there was nothing infection in my uterus or in my abdomen. I stayed in the hospital over the weekend where they gave me neupogen shots to stimulate growth of my wbc's. The rest of my blood levels began to drop (red blood cells, hemoglobin, hematocrit, platelets). I also received a CAT scan which showed that my spleen was double its normal size.
On Monday, Dr. McKernan performed the procedures and although he noticed I had some old tissue in the uterus, there was nothing that was infected that would cause my blood levels to drop like they had.
The next day, all of my blood levels increased and we thought that perhaps it had something to do with the procedures. I stayed in the hospital another day (so now it was Wednesday) just to make sure everything continued to increase, but my wbc's increased and everything else decreased the lowest they had while I'd been in the hospital.
I had a blood transfusion and received two units of blood so that I could go home for the weekend and hopefully just follow up out patient. I will also have another CAT scan next week to see if my spleen is going down.
Please pray that the doctors figure out what is going on with me. Right now, it looks like my marrow is producing everything, but it's getting eaten up by my spleen. This would make sense if I had an overwhelming infection, but I don't. There's a big long list of reasons why the spleen gets enlarged, but I don't fit into any of them. The next step would be to take my spleen out, but I am very apprehensive as the spleen doesn't just go bad and start eating up blood. There has to be an underlying problem to make the spleen do that.
The doctors tried to get me tranferred to another hospital over the weekend because they couldn't figure out why my blood/spleen was acting the way they are. No other hospital would accept me, though, because it just seems like my problems are OB related. I was fine when I went into the hospital to have the babies and a week and a half later, I was not. Now that I've had the laperoscopy and hysteroscopy, we just have to see if my body normalizes now.

Please please please pray for my healing. It is so scary when the doctors don't know what's wrong, and I'm really sick. They just keep running different tests, but everything comes back negative. Please pray that I can be optimistic. I'm heartbroken that I haven't been able to take care of the boys. I'm scared that I'm going to be hospitalized again and I feel I won't be able to handle it.
Also, please pray for my family. This is really taking a toll on Eric. He hasn't been able to sleep because he feels like he should be researching and trying to figure out what is going on with me. My mom hasn't been able to visit me because she's been taking care of the boys.

3 comments:

Noelle said...

Oh, Darcy...I just hurt so much for you. I think about you so often and have been praying so much that they will figure this out! Will continue to pray for that and for encouragement for you and Eric.

Nicole said...

Darcy, Darcy, I'm so sorry. I cry just reading what a hard time you are having. I so wish I was there to help out. We have been praying for you and will continue more fervently now too. I'm sure they will figure it out soon and you will be back to normal. Keep up hope and think positive! I know it will get better. Love you!

Kim Stroh said...

We will be praying for you! I can't imagine how hard! You will make it through!